Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Thought From Manhattan

Yesterday my Dad and I drove into New York City to do baptisms at the Manhattan Temple.  Actually, I drove in, and the traffic was so bad that what is normally a 1 hour drive, took 3 hours.  My Dad drove back, and it took 4 hours to get home.  So...It's an experience.

Anyway, I was sitting with my Dad and some other friends from my home ward, and the Temple President walked in.  First, I thought it was a respectable gesture of him to take the time out of his busy schedule and service to speak with a small group of us at the baptismal font.  Second, what he said was extremely profound.  He started off asking us how we felt at the temple.  The answers, "Calm," "Peaceful," and "Happy" came up.  He then asked us how we felt when we were locked out of something like a house or car.  The answers, "Scared" and "Anxious" were given.  He likened this feeling to the feelings how how those on the other side of the veil must feel.  They have been locked out of the truth for so long, and it is because of our service through the Lord that we are able to give them the keys.  This really touched me, and made my experience so much more important and meaningful.
Even though the journey was long (snow, traffic), the prize was well worth it.

Love,
Sean

1 comment:

  1. sean. I've always wanted to go to the Manhattan temple - now even more. also, you are awesome.

    ReplyDelete