Saturday, October 16, 2010

5 Scriptures That Will Get You Through Almost Anything

I had the opportunity to listen to popular Mormon author and motivational speaker John Bytheway speak a few days ago.  The talk he gave was the same one he gave to the students of the Columbine High School shootings after the tragic incident.  He titled it, "5 Scriptures That Will Get You Through Almost Anything".
He started out by stating that we don't want any false scripts.  We want sure scripts...ScriptSURES.  I thought that was pretty clever haha.

Here are the 5 Scriptures:

1) 1st Nephi 11:16-17.  Bytheway said that the first thing to realize is that we do not know the meaning of all things, but the one thing that we MUST know is that God "loveth His children."

2) Moses 7:26-30.  In this selection of scriptures, it states that God weeps.  We learn from this that God IS affected by the events that happen here on Earth.  People may ask, "Why would God allow this tragedy/temptation/sickness/etc. happen?" ... We must all face affliction on Earth.  But, do not think for a moment that God does not care...He IS affected by what happens in our mortal life.

3) Alma 14:9-13.  In verse 13, Alma says, "...behold, our work is not finished".  Bytheway said that similarly, the horrible things that we go through here is not the end.  We must not let this tragedy/temptation/sickness/affliction define us.

4) Alma 7:12.  From this scripture we learn that our Savior did not just die for our sins, He also died for our pains, afflictions, temptations, sicknessnesses, weaknesses, etc.

5)  Doctrine And Covenants 101: 32-34, 36.  Our joy is not fulfilled through the world.  Our joy is fulfilled through the Lord.  Bytheway ended by stating that his talk is called, "5 Scriptures That Will Get You Through Almost Anything," but it is God and our Savior that WILL get us through EVERYTHING.

I really feel that Bytheway was right...These are 5 very important scriptures that we can all learn a lot from.  I wanted to make sure I shared this with all my readers, and I hope it could help you in the same way it helped me.  It's always a good for me to be reminded that I am always loved.

Love,
Sean

1 comment:

  1. Sean,

    Thank you. Thank you for inviting me to view this blog, and thank your for all of your spiritually-themed posts. Most of all, thank you for THIS post. I can not begin to expound on how much I needed it this week. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete