Saturday, May 14, 2011

I'M GOING ON A MISSION!!!

For Non-Members: Every Latter-day Saint male is expected to serve a 2 year mission for the Church at the age of 19.  A mission requires the missionary to sacrifice time, being with family, education, and worldly possessions (car, cell phone, etc.) to focus on bringing the truth of the restored gospel to those that do not have it.  A "mission call" is issued to the LDS member, and it can be anywhere from the USA to England to Taiwan to Zimbabwe to Philippines to Italy ... etc.

_________________________________________

I, unfortunately, did not have the opportunity to serve a mission at the age of 19.  Now, I am 22 years old (23 in June), and I was finally given the chance to serve a mission.  My mission call came on Friday, May 6th.  I drove up to Blackfoot, Idaho to open it with extended family up there as I Skype-d my Mom, Dad, and younger sister, Krista, in New Jersey.  (Watch the video of me opening my mission call below).

Everyone made their guesses of where I would be serving.  Korea, Washington, Taiwan, Hawaii, Romania, Denmark, Argentina, Chile, etc...

No one, not even I, saw this one coming...

I will be teaching the truth of the gospel and serving the people of the:

NEVADA LAS VEGAS - WEST MISSION!!!

AHHHHH!!!!  I am SO SO SO SO SO EXCITED!  The area of my mission covers West Las Vegas (i.e. Summerlin area, etc.), Reno, Carson City, Winnemucca, Lake Tahoe, Sparks and even goes into California.

The more I think of my call, the more I realize how perfect it is for me.  I will officially begin my mission by going into the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on July 6th.  I HAVE LESS THAN TWO MONTHS!

I am just so thrilled to be sharing the thing I cherish and love the MOST: The knowledge and testimony I have of my faith that Jesus Christ is our Savior and that He lives!; that through baptism and access to the Atonement, we all the opportunity to return to our Father in Heaven; that faith, hope, charity, and enduring to the end are all integral characteristics of becoming more like our Savior, that families can be together forever; and so so so much more!

Here are some pictures below of me opening my mission call.
 And the video:



And a map of my mission (blue):
:)

Love,
Sean

20 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I am so excited for you!!! I am seriously so happy for you and know you will be such a great missionary! AND my aunt and uncle live in that mission so I am going to tell them to take extra special care of Elder Edwards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so so SO happy for you! I loved watching this video. I was grinning the whole time! You seem so happy and so excited, and you should be! You will be an amazing missionary sean. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom told me you got your mission call! I wasn't sure if it was public domain, but now that it is: CONGRATS cousin! I love you and I'm so very proud of you! You have such an amazing testimony! Yea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my heck! We are so excited for you Sean! And you don't even have to miss out on yogurtland! Congratulations on this amazing experience. We are very proud of you! -- deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sean thats awesome!! congratulations!!!! im so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! We are so excited for you and the incredible experiences that await you. You are already a great missionary (LOVE the blog!) and you will be even more amazing as an "official" missionary. Love, Evonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats, Congrats!! We love you and so excited for you. What a perfect place for you to go. We know you will be an amazing missionary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HOORAY HOORAY HOORAY!!! I had no idea! You can have dinner at my parents' house! And mine if I move there!
    I didn't get to make a guess though... but I NEVER would have guessed my house as your mission!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! Congratulations, Sean!! I guess the addage, "The apple never falls far from the tree" is very true in this case. Of all the places...
    I'm sure the Lord has some special people he wants you to meet. I know you'll work effectively and do your best every day. Let's stay in touch. We write missionaries!!
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so proud of you, Sean, and truly feel like you're my second son. I'm still crying tears of happiness over your call. Many congratulations! I'll write! or email! Love, Sister Bahr

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sean, that is so awesome! Congrats, you will be the best missionary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sean! omg. Happy: all the obvious stuff, see above Sad: no more blog posts. Happy: letters :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sean! this is the best news! I'm beyond excited for you! congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, Sean! You will be a great missionary. We are soooo happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sean that is so awesome! Congrats! you will be a great missionary!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sean-
    Wow! We are so very proud of you and also very excited for you!! You will be an awesome missionary. I felt that when I first met you. You sincerely love people and your personality and enthusiasm for life and the Gospel will draw people to you like a magnet. Lucky people in The Las Vegas West Mission. Just think: You can have dinner at Whitney's parents house, and perhaps even with Donny and Marie and maybe even Gladys Knight and her Pips:)
    Coryn is going to be thrilled with the news.
    CONGRATS!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just teared up when I watched that video. you are the best and I love you more than a flower loves the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I couldn't be happier for you Sean!! You will be such an amazing missionary-- Las Vegas better watch out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow i'm really happy your going i'm going in about four to four and a half years i'm only 13 but i will be going soon i'm really sieked i hope you have a really awesome mission!

    ReplyDelete