Saturday, May 28, 2011

Class Of 2011 Graduation

I just came to the sudden realization that being a high school teacher means I have to go to Graduation every year.  I'm really not a big fan of the long commencement exercise that of which is Graduation.  I was bored at my high school graduation.  I fell asleep at my college undergrad graduation.

So, when I was told that my presence was required at the high school class of 2011's graduation, I was less than thrilled.  I went to Graduation, and was surprised.  I LOVED IT.  I was more than pleasantly surprised.  I was shocked.  It was one of the best events I've been to.  I guess I rather watch other people graduate than myself.

The speakers were incredible.  I was really touched with one of the speakers.  He was one of the Special Education students at the school, and he spoke of his journey.  He named some of the amazing staff at the school saying that they "did not wait for some other place or some other time" to help him, and that his successes could not have been acheived without the help of dedicated teachers.  It was very touching.

It was so great to see four of my Special Education students and about ten of my Peer Tutors graduate.  I am so proud of them.

At the end of the ceremony, a student got up to give closing remarks.  She told the students to move their tassles from right to left as per tradition.  In the middle of her speech, music started playing over the intercom.  It was recognizably "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey.  Suddenly, all of the students stood up and did a choreographed Flash Mob dance for the unsuspecting audience.  It was a great succees.  I am so proud to teach at a school that has such a lively student body that loves fun.  I am convinced that I work at a "one-of-a-kind" school, and I am very lucky.

The Class of 2011's theme was a quote given from President Barack Obama.  All politics aside, this really is a great quote:

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time.  We are the ones we've been waiting for.  We are the change we seek."

So fitting for the class of double-ones.  2011.
Love,
Sean

3 comments:

  1. Now you understand why parents want their kids to go to their graduation. It's a big moment for parents and teachers as well. We are all invested in the lives of these kids as they leave high scool and go out into the world. I'm glad you got to experience that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear sean. gotta be one of the best posts yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish this post had a 'like' button. Very good post. I think I will miss these little thoughts for the next two years.

    ReplyDelete