Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Seattle Sunday School

So a large Seattle post is coming soon with pictures from my trip, but I just wanted to quickly post about something I realized at church this past Sunday in Seattle (more specifically Bellevue).

I went to the 17 year old age Sunday School class (because my cousin Matt teaches it), and the topic was: Sermon on the Mount in the New Testament.

We were going through the Beatitudes and deciphering what each meant.

Matthew 5:4 reads: "Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted."  My cousin said that mourning typically has a negative connotation to it, so why would be we blessed for mourning?  Why would we want to mourn?  I've never really thought about this concept, but my thought was that Christ mourned for each and every one of us.  He felt, knew of, and suffered for all of our sins in the Garden of Gethsemane.  Christ is able to fully and perfectly empathize with all of us.  So, when we mourn for others or even ourselves, we are feeling a similar feeling to what someone else felt.  When we mourn, we learn to empathize.  Therefore, we are becoming more Christ-like.  I'm not saying that I'm right, but that was just my thought.

Love,
Sean

1 comment:

  1. Here's a thought I learned somewhere in my years of experience. We are blessed when we morn for our sin and comforted by the atonement. Wish I could have been in that Sunday School class. Isn't my son a fab teacher! Love you, Aunt LaRue

    ReplyDelete