Thursday, April 28, 2011

Simply Colorful

Tonight I went to the high school I teach at to see a dance concert.  One of my special education students with Autism was part of the dance company because she takes the entry level dance class at school.  She LOVES to dance.  Dancing is her passion.  When we had our Special Education Dance this past April, she danced the WHOLE time...Even with a slice of pizza in her hand!

However, this student is very shy, and she is terrified of being in front of a lot of people.  Her number titled, "Simply Colorful" started, and she was the FIRST student on the stage.  Someone was pushing a cube made of pipe across the stage, and my student hopped in and out of the cube as it rolled.  Then, she appeared on stage at the end of the performance to dance some more.  Her movements were almost in snync with everyone elses'.  The ending pose had my student right in the middle.  I was so thrilled and happy to have seen my student suceed and be successful in something she loves.  She conquered her fears of being on stage, and she performed WONDERFULLY.

At the very end, the whole dance company came on stage and bowed.  Her smile was HUGE.  I have never seen her so happy.  Tonight is a night I will never forget.  I love my students so much, and I applaud all of their successes.  :)

Love,
Sean

1 comment:

  1. so sweet. :) Those kids need an awesome teacher like you to support them!

    ReplyDelete