Tuesday, August 2, 2011

August 1, 2011

Hi Family!
 
Okay...I don't even know where to start.  Oh, it's Monday, and we decided to do our e-mailing today just in case the temple session on Wednesday goes longer than expected or something like that.  We didn't want to cut into precious e-mail time.
 
I just brought the package of shirts to the post office today and there are pictures inside, so that should get to you sometime soon.  There wasn't any postage on it, and I put two stamps on it because that's all I thought it needed, but I guess it's actually like over 5 bucks to send that thing.
 
Well...I know you, being my parents, are concerned that I'm not getting fed, or eating.  Fear no more.  Here is what I had this week for dinners:
July 25: Cheesesteak
26: Tacos
27: Seared Ahi Tuna (which is so funny because we got an ahi tuna dish in Los Angeles before my mission thinking I wouldn't get the chance to have ahi tuna for 2 more years...And 3 days into the mission field, I'm eating ahi tuna.  The members take good care of us here.  I'm sure now it will be another 2 years though...)
28: Sloppy Joe
29: Grilled Chicken
30: Lunch: California Burger and Dinner: Stew
31: Pulled BBQ Pork
...Now I know how missionaries gain weight on their mission.  I'm going to come home as a balloon.  No, put me on a slope and I'll be a meat missle!
 
The road names in our area out here are weird: Power Quest, Blue Autumn, Amish, Passionate, Jamaica Princess, etc.  But, Krista would LOVE it out here, because MOST of the road names in our area are bird related: Birdwatcher, Birdcall, Grass Sparrow, Tufted Duck, Rock Dove, Cape Eagle, Bird Man, Little Owl, Penguin, Quiet Peeps, Perching Bird (we have an investigator that we teach on this road), Cackling Goose, amoungst others.
 
Elder T(my companion) said something interesting about tracting that I never thought of before.  He said that very few investigators come out of tracting, but when we go tracking, we show faith in the Lord and missionary work and then the Lord is able to bless us by receiving investigators in other ways like through referrals, etc.  I never thought about it that way, but it's true!
 
Christian's baptism this past Saturday went really well.  My favorite part was hearing Christian's testimony.  He's this big football player (BYU, Washington, Utah, and Arizona are all talking to him right now) and his testimony is stronger than he is.  He started crying while bearing his testimony and telling the story about how he found the missionaries and about our discussions with him.  He is great.
 
President and Sister Black also came to the baptism, so it was really great to see them.  Sister Black said to me, "I saw a picture of you the other day."  I thought, "Oh great!"  She said she saw a copy of my Drivers License picture!  She started cracking up...She thought it was so funny.  I told her, "Oh how embarassing, I promise it was a phase, It's over!"  It was funny.  She's awesome.
 
As of right now we have 4 baptisms scheduled!  Callie and Kelsey Fitzgerald (brother and sister), Rick Haws (an elderly man), and Dawn (who lives with the Bishop of the Waterfall Ward, Bishop Reese).
 
Last night we had dinner at the Bishop's house.  We got to talking and he asked, "So where are your parents from?"  I told him that my Dad was from Vegas.  He asked what Dad's name is and I told him.  He then asked, "Who is your Grandpa?"  I told him.  And, HE KNOWS GRANDPA AND UNCLE KEITH!  He said that Keith and Grandpa were at Drew Hinrichsen's (I think it was his brother's) mission setting apart when they served in the Stake Presidency together.  He was so excited and kept telling me what great men they are.
 
Then, a man picked us up to go to his place to teach his foreign exchange student that is staying with their family.  His name is Graham.  It turns out he knew Grandpa and Uncle Keith as well.  He said that they set him apart as a missionary when he went on his mission.  Pretty cool!  He looked at me and said he could see some Edwards' resemblence.  I was so happy when he said that.
 
Oh, this post is titled Drip Drop because it rained 3 times in my area this past week.  Isn't this supposed to be a desert?  I rather it be a dessert actually.
 
People are telling me that if I ever want to teach in Vegas, just let them know.  But, for now I'm just focusing on the mission.  That can all be taken care of later.
 
Well keep me updated on all the events at home...Keep sending me mail and encourage others to send me mail.  It makes me so happy when I receive a letter.  Even if it's just something small.
 
I LOVE YOU ALL SOOOOOO MUCH!!!  I think about you all every day.  Tell Elaine that I think about her every day!
 
Love,
Elder Sean Edwards

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog Elder. I love the phrase, "his testimony is stronger than he is." Just want you to know, you are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post! Thinking of you, Sean. Stay cool in Hot Vegas.

    ReplyDelete