Wednesday, July 27, 2011

July 26, 2011

Title: HOME MEANS NEVADA


Hi family and friends! :)
Well, I made it to Nevada!  A letter is being sent home that our mission president had us write telling you that we made it safely.  I forgot to include the area where I will be serving, so I will just tell you...NOW!

I have been assigned to the Aliante/Waterfall proselyting area in LAS VEGAS!  I am in North Las Vegas, and it is part of the Tule Springs Zone.  It is hot here, and I am sweating, but I am loving every single second of it!  Oh...I'm in a BIKE zone!  One of the Assistant to the Presidents gave me his bike and helmet because he didn't need it.  It was so nice of him.  Free bike!  Perfect.  One of the boundaries of my area is Decatur.

Where I am living is awesome!  I live in an apartment style set up.  We have a kitchen with dishwasher, a good-sized living room with comfy, leather couches.  The bathroom is nice.  The bedroom is a good size with walk-in closet.  We even have our very own washer and dryer.  The apartment complex has a pool (which I can't go in...But it's fun to just see water in the desert).  Oh...And there is a Wal-Mart RIGHT across the street (literally a two minute walk).  The best part: The air conditioning works.

My companion is Elder T.  He is AWESOME!  I am so happy, and I couldn't ask for a better companion.  He is so chill and helpful and the perfect trainer.  He encourages me and compliments me in front of other missionaries and ward members and on the phone with investigators...ALL the time.  He's from Connecticut, and he only has like 2 months left which makes me sad.  I hope I can be his companion up until he leaves.

Yesterday was an extremely long day.  I woke up at 3:00AM Utah time (2:00AM Nevada time), and didn't get to bed until 11:00PM Nevada time.  But, yesterday, I was initiated into the mission field.  Elder T and his companion before me (Elder W) and I were in a Tri-panionship for a night.  They said that we had an investigator appointment with Priscilla.  Elder W met up with his new "companion" Elder D.  Well, we get to Priscilla's house and the four of us go in.  Elder T says that we couldn't stay long because we have a dinner appointment and so we were just there to see how she was doing and how she felt about coming to church.  Well, as we are talking, all the suddent, Elder D. starts elbowing her.  And Elder T asks them to move further apart, and that it felt awkward and it was inappropriate.  Elder D. was just like, "What are you talking about?  There's nothing going on."  Priscilla is just like, "There's nothing wrong with that...I mean, we're all friends here."  So, I was just thinking to myself, "This is weird."  Well, then, Elder D. starts like grabbing her hand, and Elder T is like "Listen, I know something is going on here, and I'm going to have to tell the president if it continues."  Elder D. and Elder T go back and forth, and I'm just thinking, "Are you kidding me...Elder D. is crazy."  Elder T says at the end of our discussion, "Okay, you're not going to be teaching or seeing Priscilla anymore, and Elder Edwards and I will just take over from here on out."  Elder D. goes, "Okay, well can I just say 'Good-Bye.'?"  Elder T says it's okay, and I look over and Elder D. is HUGGING Priscilla, and then he KISSES HER!  I dropped my bag and yelled, "WHAT!?"  And then EVERYONE starts laughing.  Yeah, "Elder D." and Priscilla are MARRIED!  And, it was all a big joke to "Welcome" me into the field.  Oh my gosh, it was SO funny.  I couldn't believe I fell for it.

So, I'm told that we have dinner appointments every night, and Elder T says that this is his 3rd transfer here and he has never had to cook dinner here.  So, don't worry, I'm going to be fed well.  Last night I had a really good Philly Cheesestake at a member's.

I also taught my first REAL lesson yesterday to an investigator named John.  He's 18 years old and way cool.  We already had all the lessons, but still has not commit to baptism because he's afraid of how his Catholic family will react.  We were going to read 3 Nephi 11 with him, but when we got there, everything changed.  He asked us about Patriarchial Blessings, and so we had a whole lesson on just that.  It went really well.  I was able to tell him what my Patriarchial Blessing did for me.  Hopefully he will commit to baptism soon.

My P-Days are usually on Monday, but since yesterday was transfers and craziness, we are e-mailing today.  We just went out and did grocery shopping.  I had to replenish like my whole life.  I will send back two more shirts soon, and send you some more pictures soon (I printed some off at Wal Mart today).

Next week my P-Day won't be on Monday though.  My P-Day will be on Wednesday, because we are going to the Las Vegas Temple on Wednesday, August 3rd.  :)  I'm excited for that!

Well, I have 28 minutes left on this computer, so I'm going to shoot this message off early, and hopefully you will get it and can reply quickly and we can chat.

I LOVE YOU ALL!!!  I'm so glad you had fun with the Edwards family at the Grand Canyon.  I'm sad I missed out, but I'm glad you are having fun adventures just like me.
Love,
Elder Sean Edwards

PS


And, everywhere we go, people shout out their cars, or pass us in the lanes of Wal-Mart and say "HI ELDERS!"  I ask Elder T, "Oh, are they in one of the wards we are in?"  And he says, "Nope...People out here are just friendly and love us."  Pretty cool.
And, I can't remember what else I was going to say, but there was something else.
Anyway, I'm sure I'll remember later and just punch myself for not remembering because I have to wait a whole another week to tell you. OH YEAH!
I just remembered...The investigator that Elder N and I taught the Plan of Salvation lesson to at the MTC is getting baptized on AUGUST 6TH!  I might even get to go to her baptism.  My first baptism of someone I taught, happening only a week after me getting here.  I hope I can go, I don't think it's in my boundaries, but I hope I can go.
We have a baptism this Saturday as well.  An investigator that Elder T and Elder W have been teaching.  His name is Christian.  Woo!
Love you again!
Elder Sean Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment