Monday, January 16, 2012

January 9, 2012


FAMILY!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!!!!!  One year older and wiser, too...Happy Birthday...To You!

Transfers:
Transfers are today and tomorrow.  Transfer calls came on Saturday.  Did I get a call?  Will I stay or will I go?  I've been in this area for almost 6 months now... Verdict: I AM LEAVING!  I am so sad to be leaving the members and area I have come to know and love SO MUCH, but excited for my new adventure that lies ahead.  I will be serving in the Redrock Zone in the Spring Valley Ward with Elder P.  Elder P came out with the same group Elder S and Elder M were in, so I will be "polishing" him.  The Spring Valley Ward is one of the wards that Elder T served in, so that is exciting.  But that's not all...I got a call from President Black on Thursday.  He said that I have a new leadership assignment from the Lord and him.  So, I will be serving as District Leader as well.  I don't even know what to do.

BAPTISM:
Ahhhh!!!  The baptism of the H girls, E, B, A, and E, was incredible.  The service went wonderfully.  The room was PACKED.  It was one of, if not the, greatest moment of my mission to stand in the baptismal font and watch the girls walk into the water to make those beautiful, eternal covenants with their Father in Heaven.  Their smiles are something I will never forget.  I had the wonderful opportunity to baptize all four of them.  I think it is so cool that on the EXACT day of my 6 month mark, I got to baptize.  I invited President and Sister Black to the baptism as well.  They both came and really enjoyed the baptism.  After the baptism, President Black said to Elder M and I, "I have heard many compliments about you both."  That made me so happy to hear.  It is nice to know that our hard work isn't going unnoticed.  That's always just a good feeling.  On Sunday, I got to confirm E.  Elder M confirmed B.  Shaun M, who is preparing to leave for his mission in March, confirmed El.  And, A's primary teacher confirmed her.  The whole experience was all around perfect.  I think their dad could really feel the spirit as well.  He was so impressed that so many people came to his girls' baptism to support.  I am so happy! :)

Investigator Update:
R: Didn't get to meet with him this last week.  We were supposed to, but when we showed up, he wasn't home.
B: Didn't get to meet with him this last week.  We were supposed to, but an hour before we were supposed to meet with him, his wife texted and said they had gotten into an argument and wouldn't be able to meet.
J: Met with him this last week.  We had finished all the necessary Preach My Gospel lessons required for baptism, so we were thinking, "What next?"  We decided, through inspiration that came from the training program, that we would read The Book of Mormon WITH him.  We decided we would just pick up wherever it was that Jacob left off.  I anticipated him to be around 1 Nephi where Nephi and his family are sailing to the promised land.  Nope.  He was all the way in 2 Nephi already.  And he was in 2 Nephi 15, which is an Isaiah chapter.  I thought to myself, "Oh, great!" (sarcastically).  But, as we read, we got a GREAT discussion going, the spirit was felt, and it was really awesome!  Jacob at the end of the lesson said, "Thank you so much for coming over.  Today was a particularly rough day for me and that was exactly what I needed."  How great!

Food Report:
Monday: Tilapia Fish Tacos
Tuesday: Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Wednesday: Chicken Enchiladas
Thursday: Fried Chicken
Friday: Smoked Ham Sub
Saturday: Tilapia Fish Tacos
Sunday: Grilled Steak

Weekly Summary:
Monday: P-Day.  Missionary work in the evening.  We had to finish our Weekly Planning since we didn't get around to it the week before because of Splits with the District Leader.
Tuesday: District Meeting was...interesting.  We taught A a lesson on Missionary Work and more specifically a story of two great missionaries in the Book of Mormon, Alma and Amulek.  She had texted us the night before saying, "I want to go on a mission."  Soooo awesome!  We went to the church building in the evening to do a baptism run-through with the Henderson girls so we could get them fitting in their clothes, show them where everything is, practice the baptismal hold, and just making them comfortable so there were no "surprises" at the actual baptism.
Wednesday: Taught R a lesson on the Gifts of the Spirit.  Tracted a neighborhood.  The weather has been SO beautiful, so tracting was excellent.  Dinner with the Es!  I LOVE THEM!  One of my favorite families EVER!  Their 17 year old daughter M invited and wanted me to go with her to Senior Prom at LVA (Las Vegas Academy - Performing Arts School).  Next time you see Liz, tell her that I was invited to LVA's senior prom.
Thursday: We went to go visit a Less Active, Lisa, that Elder S and I had met while tracting.  Her and I really got along the first time we met, and so we chatted with her and had a good time.  I said, "You better come to church this Sunday because it will probably be my last Sunday in the ward."  And guess what!  SHE CAME!!!  So awesome!  Had dinner with L and her family.  I am going to miss them!!!!!!  Lesson with J and D.
Friday: BAPTISM DAY!  (See above).  After the baptism, we got a ride to a member's home in some other elders' area.  We met up there with Elders N, T, M, and C and Sisters L, W, and F.   It was a lot of fun and we had a great time!
Saturday: Taught my last lesson to J about Patriarchal Blessings.  We hung out for lunch and went to McDonalds.  I got a head start on my packing.  Dinner with the As...I am going to miss my dinners with them SOOO much!  I love them!
Sunday: Church was great.  It was so sad to say "Good Bye" to everyone.  I am so happy for this area and the friendships I have been able to form here.  I love Waterfall and Aliante wards.  I bore my testimony in both wards.  J bore his testimony which was really cool.  His whole testimony was about how blessed he is.  Isn't that awesome?  Knowing what he has gone through, I think many people would find it hard to "count their many blessings", but he does it so effortlessly.  That is amazing to me.  We had dinner with the N.  I. LOVE. THEM!!!!  Totally one of my favorite families ever.  They are so great.  I hope they have the desire soon to come back to church.  We played this game called "Headbands".  GET IT!  It's so fun, and then we can play when I come back.

Small World:
1) So, the member's home who we went to the other night to do the tie burning was showing me pictures of her son that is on a mission.  His name tag read, "Elder R".  I said, "I'm related to Rs," (L's husband, T).  It turns out she was married to a R and there is relation there.  Also, she is Karen J who went to high school with an was in the same grade as Cheryl.  She also knows Lyndee, Naomi, Quincy, Jeff, Marylynn, etc.  Small world!
2) I bore my testimony on Sunday and talked about Jace.  I didn't mention his name, but afterwards someone came up to me saying, "Did your cousin have a companion named Elder Davis?"  I said, "That is my cousin!"  It turns out the lady is a teacher in Logandale and knows Donna.

Spiritual Thought:
I was reading in 2 Nephi 9 this last week.  I came across verse 40 that reads, "O, my beloved brethren, give ear to my words. Remember the greatness of the Holy One of Israel. Do not say that I have spoken hard things against you; for if ye do, ye will revile against the truth; for I have spoken the words of your Maker. I know that the words of truth are hard against all uncleanness; but the righteous fear them not, for they love the truth and are not shaken."  The last part is so powerful.  I know that if we learn to love the truth, we will be unshaken in our testimonies.  I love The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, because I know it is true.  I love my Heavenly Father, because I know He is truly my Father.  I love Jesus Christ, because I know He is truly my Savior.  I love the Atonement, because I know it is truly the way for me to return to live back with my Father in Heaven.  I love the Plan of Salvation, because I know it is truly God's plan of happiness for me.  I love the Priesthood, because I know it is truly God's power given to man for the salvation of His children.  I love the principles of Faith, Repentance, Baptism, the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the End, because I know it is truly the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I love temples, because I know they are truly the House of the Lord where families are made eternal.  I love the Book of Mormon, because I know it is true.  I love my church leaders, including President Thomas S. Monson, because I know they are truly called.  I know that if we can learn to LOVE THE TRUTH, we will be firm, steadfast, and immovable in our faith and testimony and our love of truth will push us towards eternal joy.

Well, I am sure I have more to report, but that is all I can think of for now!

Thank you so much for all the love and support!  I love you all SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!  Keep sending mail.  I love it.  Tell everyone I said, "Hi"!

Love,
Elder Sean Edwards
  








.


No comments:

Post a Comment