Monday, October 3, 2011

October 3, 2011

THE EDWARDS FAMILY!!!  (Said in the tone of how the Sister Missionaries say, "THE ROBLES FAMILY" in The District 2.  Elder Taylor and I say, "THE ROBLES FAMILY" like 5 times a day).
 
Anyway...
 
Because General Conference is so great and always puts everyone on a spiritual high...I will start with my weekly spiritual thought.
 
Spiritual Thought: Many incredible and inspired things were said at General Conference this past weekend.  One of the great lessons I learned this past weekend wasn't something that was directly said, but rather, a connection I learned to make on my own.  It's always an exciting part of Conference when the prophet gets up to announce the new temples that will be built.  In the Saturday morning session, President Monson spoke of the Provo Tabernacle burning down, and declared that Provo's second temple will be built in its place.  This made me extremely excited and happy.  I remember going to devotionals in the Provo Tabnernacle.  It was a beautiful building where the Spirit could reside.  I also remember driving and seeing the Provo Tabnernacle in flames.  The roof had collapsed, the walls were burnt down, and not much was left standing.  My students at Timpview and I watched news footage in class that morning about the sad event.  It was one of the oldest buildings in Provo, and seemed as if a great loss.  When President Monson announced that a temple would be built in the former Provo Tabernacle's place, I knew that the Provo Tabernacle had to be burnt down so that our prophet could be inspired to build a temple in its place.  I thought about how our life experiences are similar.  Sometimes bad things happen to us, even seemingly destructive things.  We can get burnt down with the hardships of life.  But, we must always remember that our loving Heavenly Father "shall consecrate thine afflictions for thy gain," (2 Nephi 2:2).  Our trials are meant for us to learn from them so that we could be built up to be something even better than we were before.  We are refined and made beautiful through our afflictions.  Just like how a great building was burnt to the ground so a perfect building could be built in its place.  Let us remember what we are told: "...bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success," (Alma 26:27).
 
I know that was long...So now I will give you the Food Report!
Monday: Lemon Glazed Salmon
Tuesday: Lunch - Jalepeno Burger (Red Robin), Dinner - Jamba Juice (we were SO full from lunch)
Wednesday: I don't remember.  Oops.
Thursday: Cranberry, Turkey, and Stuffing Sub
Friday: Cheeseburger
Saturday: Pulled BBQ Pork Sandwiches
Sunday: Pho! :)
 
Now for some Small World stories!  Actually, I think I only have one.
-The family that feeds us Pho, the Eckersely's, know the Cordner Family!
 
Time for some Funny Stories:
1) On Monday evening, the Mills family asked us to help them with relocating some of their food storage.  After eating dinner, we were ready to get to work.  Elder Taylor said, "YOU'RE ALL OURS!"  What he meant to say was, "We're all yours."
2) Tracting always makes for some good laughs.  On Wednesday, we tracted into someone.  The lady opened the door and said, "Now is really not a good time.  I'm in the middle of a clogged toilet.  I thought you were the plumber."  Oh.  My.  Word.  Please.
3) I was thinking...What does President Monson say when singing, "We Thank Thee O God For A Prophet"?  Does he say, "We thank thee O God for MEEEE."??
 
Here is how the rest of my week went:
The driving coordinator took us out for Jamba Juice on Tuesday because he really likes us.  We did a lot of tracting...again.  On Wednesday we tracting into Alex.  He was extremely receptive to hearing about the gospel AND just a week ago someone from his work gave him a Book of Mormon.  He already read the Introduction and the testimonies in the beginning.  He was excited to hear more, and we hope to start teaching him this week (he was out of town this weekend).  He is also really busy.  He is a single Dad with two kids, he goes to school part-time, and he works full-time.  We had interviews with President Black.  It was great to sit down one-on-one with him and speak to him about how things are going.  He was very positive and happy with my efforts.  I love him.  He is great.  I feel very comfortable around him, and I got to talk to Sister Black a bit about their service at the correctional facilities.  We have implemented one of our "creative" finding ideas.  We had a Bloc-Party on Friday evening for a street in the Aliante Ward that a member put together.  We got to meet a lot of non-members.  We didn't push the gospel on them, but instead, mingled and got to know them as people first.  We plan to go back and follow up with them and see if they are interested this week.  Hopefully our efforts will show forth fruits.  Then the weekend was just filled with General Conference!  We watched it at member's homes and recent convert's homes.
 
Well...Hopefully we will find people to teach soon.  Thank you so much for all of your support and love.  Thank you for the letters!  Tell family and friends I love them so much!  Tell the ward, "Hello!"
 
I LOVE YOU!  I LOVE YOU!  I LOVE YOU!
 
Love,
Elder Sean Edwards
 
Picture Glossary:
1590: We made banana chocolate milkshakes!  Yum!
1592: YOGURTLAND!
1613: Me with our recent convert Ray!  He is a Crossing Guard.
1617: We had Conference Breakfast with Ray and Jean.  They made us these yummy waffles.
1618: Me and my Pho!  Our recent convert Alyssa is in the background.  We love her!
 
Keep Writing Everyone:

No comments:

Post a Comment